New Content, straight to your inbox.
I’m Cam MacMurchy
I am a former radio and television journalist now working as the Senior Director of Global Communications at a multinational Internet and technology company listed in Hong Kong.
I have been involved in communications for as long as I can remember, but my career really began to accelerate when I merged communications with my love of technology. Together, they can bring almost magical results.
These days I consult with companies to help them build out their digital communications capability, as well as leverage tech to get more done with fewer resources. I also help individuals get more out of their laptop and mobile gadgets, boosting productivity and freeing up time for those things that are most important to us.
This site isn’t about work, though! I have blogged on and off since 2007, and have missed it terribly over the last few years. So this is my humble blog. I hope you find it worthwhile.
Here's What I Do
“Writing can be cathartic, and doing it without deadlines or quotas is truly liberating.”
Must-have apps, practical productivity hacks, social media dos and don’ts, getting around the Great Firewall, and the business of technology.
Reading Time: 2 minutes A small software development company made a difficult decision, abandoning work done by its own staff to embrace a centralized standard. It did the right thing.
Reading Time: 2 minutes Stockpiling multiple tools just to get access to Twitter (and other blocked websites)
A look at everything from massive public relations fiascoes to the winners and losers in this new era of journalism — and what tomorrow might bring.
Reading Time: 2 minutes The episode of the Ezra Klein Show raises great questions, even if we don’t yet have great answers.
Reading Time: 2 minutes Whatever side of the political aisle you might be on, one thing is clear: the US political journalists of this era have let us down.
Reading Time: 3 minutes How on earth did the World Health Organization’s PR team let Aylward go on live television?
Turn off your phone and get your mind off work! Exploring the world of airlines, lounges, and exotic locales with a camera, laptop, and a few extra airline points.
Get the latest posts delivered straight to your inbox.
Do computers scare you?
subscribe to Executive Productivity and do more, better.
Tech gadgets don’t have to be so hard. Learn some handy, simple, easy-to-understand tips that will make your work life easier.
Articles Published in:
(Back in my journalism days)
- Popular note-taking app GoodNotes launches universal version for iPhone, iPad, and Mac by Cam MacMurchy on April 14, 2020 at 12:25 pm
The infrastructure to support universal apps has only been available for a couple of weeks, but some app developers are wasting no time linking their iPhone, iPad, and Mac apps as a single purchase. […]
- C’mon Apple, stop making me choose between avoiding Coronavirus and easily unlocking my iPhone in China by Cam MacMurchy on January 29, 2020 at 6:00 pm
It’s tough out there, people. Thousands have been infected with the novel Coronavirus in China, millions are under lockdown, airplanes are grounded, and borders tightened. It’s like we’ve gone […]
- Apple blasted by Nobel laureate economist Joseph Stiglitz in Davos for failing to pay taxes by Cam MacMurchy on January 23, 2020 at 2:47 pm
CEOs and political leaders in Davos are talking a lot about companies focusing on more than just profits by being responsible for their employees, their suppliers, and their communities. One company […]
- It Might Be Time to Update the Old 'Alfa-Bravo-Charlie' Spelling Alphabet - Atlas Obscura
- Do Americans Understand How Badly They’re Doing? - The Atlantic
- The Predator That Makes Great White Sharks Flee in Fear - The Atlantic
- Tech Firms Face a Stark Choice Between China and the United States in New Cold War - Foreign Policy
- The Boogaloo Movement Is Not What You Think - Bellingcat
- The Record-Breaking Jet That Still Haunts a Country - BBC
- An Interview With the Man Who Told the LAPD, 'Suck My Dick and Choke On it, I Yield My Time, Fuck You' - Jezebel
- The Slippery Slope to Censored Speech — The Information
- How To Get Comfortable With Your Professional Decline - The Atlantic
- How a Chinese AI Giant Made Chatting—and Surveillance—Easy -WIRED
Sign up to get the latest posts straight to your inbox.
I would love to hear from you.